So. Every wednesday I go to see my brother Stuart, my sister-in-law, Carrie, and my wee 2 year-old nephew, Finlay. Last year we would have tea then watch GBBO with a cup of tea, and it was lovely.
This year we've cranked it up a notch.
This year I've challenged myself (for I've, read Carrie's) to make the same thing they make on the programme each week, so we really feel like we're there. Week 1 was cake week, and Caarrie requested red velvet cake, which was fine! Week 2 was biscuit week and Carrie requested viennese whirls. They were lovely.
But week 3 was bread week. I'm not very experienced when it comes to making bread, but we decided that I would attempt to make chocolate croissants.
Pain au chocolat, if you will!! Je m'appelle Shona n'that!!
Now. These take some doing. I found a recipe online that didn't look too awkward, which wasn't easy, let me tell you! But find one I did! Bread flour, salt, yeast, sugar, water and a shit load of butter!! Ooh and some chocolate to pop in too.
I mixed the dry stuff and added the water adn kneaded until I could knead no more. Well. 10 minutes anyway. It's murder on the wrists! Once I'd kneaded I took the butter out the fridge and battered it flat witih a rolling pin.
Butter is not easy to roll. And it melts really quickly! But I perservered.
The butter sheet goes onto the rolled dough and you fold it like an envelope.
I knew how to do that cos I'd seen it on the bake off :)
Then I proved. And then folded adn rolled out. The proved and folded adn rolled out. Then proved adn folded and rolled and proved adn folded and rolled out. 4 times like I was told to do. Then I cut them out anf folded a wee bit of chocolate into each of them. Then I popped them into the fridge for an hour (it said overnight but I was right impatient plus I wanted to test them out!). Oven on at 200c and in they went.

They fucking worked!!!
I'm so unbelievably chuffed with myself it's embarrassing haha!! I took a selfie with them!!
I'd been viber-ing Stuart and Carrie all night and they were dead excited too.
They came out all crispy and buttery, and chocolatey and they tasted bloody delicious!! I ttok them up to my brother's the next night and they were demolished.
Next week is batter week... Churros!!
Shit.








No comments:
Post a Comment