Monday, 19 January 2015

Today i attempted to make sushi

Many moons ago i used to make sushi on a regular basis, and i loved it. I usually used red pepper and ham to fill them, and i never quite got the recipe right  (despite following the recipe on the back of the yukata (?) packet)!!

A few weeks ago i decided I'd try again, so bought the nori and rice vinegar and its been sitting in my cupboard ever since. Today I'm on annual leave for the day so i thought, bugger it - it's time!

Them i realised i didn't really have anything to fill it.

I followed the instructions to make the rice - 1.5 cups  (i have cup measures, get me ) of rice with 200ml water, bring to boil them simmer on a low heat for 15-20 mins.

Except that the rice was already sticking to the bottom after 10 mins. I didn't really know what to do so i just kinda stirred it round and added a bit more water, put the lid back on and popped it back on the heat - and hoped for the best.  After another 5 mins I'd had enough so took it off and added in my mix of vinegar, salt and sugar.

Now, i looked everywhere for the exact quantities of these that i needed bit i couldn't find them. I went for 3tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar and 1tsp salt and stirred.  It dissolved eventually so i chucked it over the rice and stirred some more.  The rice then went into a plate to try to cool down. That takes a while, and i ran out of patience, so i just started to build it. Fuck it.

So!! I got a sheet on nori, and a handful of rice and spread it over the seaweed.  But what to fill it with?  I eventually found a rogue slice of leftover ham in the fridge, and a jar of hot and spicy beetroot and sliced it all up. Yum! They worked well, but by the time i got to the 4th nori sheet i decided to try something different.  I found a wee tin of soy/ginger tuna in the cupboard so banged it on the rice. It rolled up quite well :-)

And the result? The rice is crunchy, it's a wee bit too salty and a bit warm still, but strangely edible!  Not bad for the first attempt in about 10 years :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment